Tuesday, January 3, 2012

School days

The other day, my older sister asked me when school starts for the semester.  Huh, I had no idea!  I don't know if I was in denial, or just never considered it real or what, but I had NO idea!   I immediately got off the phone with her and logged onto the college web site to find out.   January 3rd.  Oh shit!  That's in two days (from then).  I flew into a panic.  I logged onto the financial aid website, contacted my next door neighbor to ask her to babysit, and let the anxiety course it's ugly way through my veins and let the palpitations do their thing.

That's what I get for always putting everything off until the very last minute.  I spent the last 48 hours, give or take,  freaking out about it.  I was nervous about having to leave the boys with a babysitter during dinner and bedtime, because I never do.  I was nervous about having to park in the visitor's parking lot because I don't have the money to buy a student parking sticker yet..  The visitor lot is SOOO far away from my classroom building, and it's dark out by 6:30-- the time my class starts.  By 9:10, when the class ends, it's going to be dark and downright deserted across the huge creepy campus alone.   So, plenty of ammunition to feed my anxieties. 

So, my neighbor came over early.  I made dinner for the boys and my babysitter, and got myself put together, made sure my pens work..  I left at 5:30, because I didn't know what the traffic and/or parking situation might be.  And those of you that follow this blog know how I feel about being late.  And I was off.   Snuck out quietly, because my 2 year old was flipping out earlier, crying and begging me, "please don't go to college Mommy..."  just what I needed.   I ran to my car, hopped in, and turned the key.  It paused, and coughed for a second before starting.  Great.  Is my battery dying?  I looked in the rear view to see that one of the boys had turned on a cabin light the last time we were in the car, and it had drained the battery over the last 2 days since we haven't gone anywhere.  So of course I assumed that after class, I'd be standing in the cold dark parking lot alone waiting for the one armed serial killer to come along and give me a jump.   Oh well, no turning back now.

5:45, I pulled into my parking spot--- only about 100 yards or so from my class. Score.  I found the building right away, another score.  Excellent, things are lookin up for 2012!  I found the study lounge, texted some friends to pass time.... checked facebook, called my sisters to annoy them during their dinner time and pass a few minutes.   At 6:20, I headed to the basement level, which is where my class is...  (enter crickets).  YUP, I was the only one there.  I pulled out my printed up copy of my "class schedule"... and VERY clearly printed along the top of the page, in bold print it states:   This class starts January 23, 2012.

Thaaaaat's about right.  I prayed to the car Gods as I walked, giggling at my stupidity back to my car.  She started right up.  I laughed like a weirdo out loud at different points during my drive home.  And here I am now... still laughing at my own ridiculous stupidity.

No comments:

Post a Comment