In every one of my romantic relationships, I have always been the break-er, as opposed to the break-y. I ended every relationship when I felt that it was time. When something was going wrong, or I could tell it was going to be a dead end.. etc. For many different reasons. One was too possessive and insecure, another was too much of a co-dependant Mama's boy, the last joined the military and would be traveling and living overseas, which I wasn't willing to do at that time.
The good thing about these normal, or common types of break ups, is that I could always find music to match my emotions, and would get me through the rough patch. Dixie chicks, air supply, even Counting Crows... They all helped me get through and feel ok. Clearly, lots of other people have had to deal with the very same issues and heart ache that I did, and this too would pass.
I haven't come across a song yet to describe my current situation. I doubt that there's a country song about a woman that married a guy who gambled and borrowed money from the mob, and lost everything and sold his wife's ring, stole her credit card and pretended to have jobs and health insurance when he didn't. I don't know, maybe I'm stereotyping-- but it seems like more of a north-eastern husband's thing... and Country's not so big around here.
I've been listening to Taylor Swift lately. She's got a lot of really great break up songs, unrequited love songs, etc.. but none of them are really reaching my soul the way music always could in the past. I don't think my emotions are "above" the healing power of music because the drama of it all is so intense.. I just think I haven't found the right song yet.
Maybe I'll write a letter to Taylor and clue her in on this un-tapped market. I'm sure I'm not the only wife who's been burned in a similar fashion. I mean, that's why the mob stays in business-- by preying on dumb schleps like John. There's got to be thousands of them out there. Thousands of ex-wives searching the airwaves for the perfect song to get them through to the next chapter in life. Stuck in the emotional black hole of music. . No air and no light, and no way out.
I'm gonna write her that letter. All I ask, is that if she gets the grammy for it, that Kanye present the statue.
rocked it! i will write you a haiku in the meantime.
ReplyDelete