Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Cookie Jars

In sticking with my warm and fuzzies today, I'm gonna talk a little bit about cookie jars.  Just a few minutes ago, I was in the basement doing laundry, when I saw my Mom's old cookie jar on a shelf down there.  It's in the shape of a yellowish lion.  Those of you that know me, will realize the symbolism that goes with the whole Lion theme. This Lion was usaully stocked with my Mom's oatmeal cookies. YUM.

I have a cookie jar that I received as a gift years and years ago from two of my very best friends.  It's a Tinkerbell cookie jar.  She's looking all pouty and mad, as Tinkerbell typically does.   I loved this cookie jar from the moment I unwrapped it.  I have a little bit of a weird and childish obsession with this Fairy for unexplained reasons.  I just always thought Tink was kind of awesome... In a pretend fantasy sort of way.  Disney has a way of grabbing hold of ya with some of their characters in a mysterious magical way, right?

I was single and young when I got it, and didn't really have any real reason to own a cookie jar at that time, but I loved her none the less.

On top of the cabinets in my parent's kitchen, sits another cookie jar.  It's a big fat white pig with a hankerchief around it's neck.  His eyes are closed and his hands are on his belly as if he'd just eaten the best cookie ever.   This one once belonged to my Nanny. My Dad's Mom.  Nanny's house was very magical.  She always had a fully stocked cookie jar, in addition to her lollipop box that was always stocked with Charms lolli's. The big ones.  I don't think I was ever able to finish those lolli's they were so big and wonderful.  On the outside of the lolli box it read, "For good girls and boys".

My boys know what goes on inside of my Tinkerbell.  It is never ever empty.  I keep it stocked with lolli's and pop rocks and nerds, to name a few.  My neices and nephew are also quite familiar with Tinkerbell's possessions.   They all know that upon leaving my house after a visit, they all get to pick something out of Tink for their car ride home.  I love this.  It makes me happy that all the kids in my life have a special cookie jar mindset about my Tinkerbell the way I always did about the cookie jars in my childhood.

Recently, on Ebay, I did a cookie jar search.  Not with any intentions, but just curiosity.  My Tinkerbell is currently worth about $200 on the ebay market. Wow. I was stunned.  I have no idea what my girlfriends paid for it, but was really shocked to see that.

I could use $200.  I could make that kind of money stretch.  But... I would never, ever part with my cookie jar.  It means too much to me and all my tiny people in my world.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment