Thursday, July 14, 2011

One of my ex's lived in Texas...

My two favorite ex's became Fathers in the past 2 months.  That's a bittersweet thought if I ever had one. 
My college boyfriend was my favorite in that he was my best friend.  No one in the world could make me laugh the way he could.  The first time I kissed him, we were in the backseat of my roommate's car at a gas station, and he was cracking me up.  I couldn't tell you what he was saying, just that he was so funny that I could barely catch my breath, and when I finally did, I asked if I could kiss him.  We hit it off right away and quickly became one of those couples that other people envied.  Best friends that really liked being around each other all the time.  I loved him then and I always will.   We broke up the summer after we graduated.  I wanted to get serious.  I wanted us to move in together, I wanted the ring, the whole shabang.   He wasn't ready for any of that.  He literally told me that he liked being at home where his mom still cooked and cleaned for him.  AAAAARGH!

Enter my next favorite.  My next favorite ex was one of the guys from my shore house that same summer.  Ok, technically, it wasn't MY shore house-- it was all of my girlfriend's shore house.  I had just graduated so I couldn't afford to be in on the share, but I reaped the benefits none the less.     He was romantic and mysterious and emotional.  He treated me like a princess.  He put me up on a pedestal.  He would sneak gifts into my mailbox while I was at work.  On his days off he'd surprise me by showing up at my office to take me to lunch.  I was head over heals for him.  He was tall and handsome and wonderful.  I loved his family too.  I quickly became very close to his sisters and eventually got my life changing job at the Sheraton through one of them.   He wound up joining the Air force.  I tried to hang in there and go with the military lifestyle.  I watched both of my sisters suffer through the military wife life and was NOT excited about it.  But, I flew to Texas for his bootcamp graduation, and then again for a Valentine's visit a few months later.   I stuck with him until he got sent to North Korea.. At this point we'd been together for about 3 years, and I was thinking I either get a ring before he goes, or I go.  After he was in Korea for about a month, I broke up with him.    It was just too hard to be in love with someone and plan a future with someone so far away with no guarantee of a ring.  So I broke up with him.

I cried for both of these two guys for a long time.  I still think of them both often for different reasons.  My college boyfriend became a Dad on Father's day this year to  little girl.  I just know he's gonna be an awesome Dad and that his little girl will most definitely be a Mets fan.

The other guy became a Father just a few days ago.  He married a girl he met in Germany, and I hear she is awesome.  They had twins a few days ago that were born very very early.  The babies are doing great-- breathing on their own and doing well despite their 2 + pound birth weights.  I pray for nothing but the best for their new family.

I tip my hat to the girls that were smart enough to hang on to either one of these guys.  I have faith that there are good men in the world because I loved and was loved by these two guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment