Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Starting all over again

My sister asked me the other day if I stopped blogging since I got divorced.  No, I haven't.  But truthfully, I feel so much lighter now.  I don't feel the constant burden of anger and the frustration of not knowing what will happen next.   My head and my soul don't feel weighted down every minute of every day that makes me feel the need to purge it all out here.

The divorce is settled.  I got everything that I wanted.  From the divorce that is, not from life... (so far!)  Full custody of the boys.  No unsupervised visits.  I was awarded the full monthly check from the sale of our bar in 2008.  So now, I have a steady income that I can count on, which makes me more able to plan.
I can make educated decisions now on how to move forward.  I can decide if I want to go to school full time starting in the fall, or get a full time job.  I will be able to put my younger son in preschool in the fall without worrying about how I'll pay his tuition.  Our future just became a lot less daunting and a lot more reasonable and realistic. 

So now what?  Are the demons gone?  What oh what will I write about now???  Must. Have. Drama! 
 Well, for one thing, John called this morning to tell me that his father was brought to the hospital in an ambulance last night with pneumonia and whatnot.  For the record,  his dad is pushin 90, and has gone to the hospital at least once a year every year since I've known John.  Our theory is that it's all for attention, and that he's going to live forever.  He is the "man" that started it all.  The guy who (allegedly) beat the shit out of John and his 5 siblings and mother on a daily basis that would set them all up for a lifetime of dysfunction and chaos.   The man that would leave  his family anytime things got too real at home, and/or when he felt like it, or found a new mistress, or simply felt like getting away back home to Ireland for a bit.  That's when John's Mom would be left to care for her 6 kids by herself on welfare and whatnot until dear ol' Dad would come back.  Yeah, so, THAT's the guy in the hospital right now.  The fact that he's still in the family picture at all is amazing (and stupid) to me, but hey, that's not my call.  It's THEIR dad, not mine.  So this is great.  Just when I get my clean break from John will be the time when his dad (my kids' grandfather) decides to finally leave this world to face the wrath of whatever the afterlife has in mind for him.  That'll give me the opportunity to have to attend the funeral and all the trimmings and surround myself with the very family I finally legally separated from in an extremely emotional setting that is sure to be rifled with lots of craaaaazy ups and downs of hating the man and mourning him all at the same time.  Should be fun.

Also, I just got back from having a couple of x-rays, and ultra sound scans done today, and am looking forward to my first ct scan next week.   Details on all of that to follow in the near future.

In short, if any of you out there were worried that I'd run out of material, fear not.  I was just gettin warmed up!

2 comments:

  1. actually...you don't have to involve yourself in his family at all. you can simply send your boys. you are free now. you are under no obligation. i say, send a card, and get on with caring about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so curiously - where does John go from here? Sounds like his family bailed him out of jail, which is lucky for him.. but... does he have a job with income now? It sounded like he was keeping the check for himself and screwing you in the process... In any event - great news for you, a total burden lifted off and onward and upward!

    ReplyDelete