http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_hw1xcfylI&feature=share
U2's Bono and The Edge performing Stuck In the Moment on David Letterman.
A friend of mine posted this clip on facebook. This song, and in particular, this version brings be back to 2001.
My boyfriend at the time had joined the US Aiforce in 2000. He was training to leave for basic training before the Taliban crashed two of our own domestic planes into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.
He had always had it in his heart that he wanted to join the Air force. It was in his family, and it was in his soul. So he did. We had been dating for about two years when he signed up. I was admittedly crushed. He was choosing a life of unknowns over me. That hurt.
Then 9/11 happened. That changed things considerably. It meant that, not only was he leaving me to join the military and travel... it meant imminent danger. It meant that he was joining the military during wartime
I was as supportive as I could muster. I wrote during boot camp. Visited during graduation. Visited his first two stations in Texas and Mississippi.
It was on my birthday.. May 5th, when he told me that they were sending him to South Korea, and No, I could not go with him.
I was crushed and heartbroken and mad and sad and numb.
I went back home to NY and spent every free minute with his two sisters who were also two of my best friends.
We had U2 tickets from before my Ex had left. He bought them before he left town. They were good seats at MSG. He was supposed to be at that concert with me.. but it was me and his sisters instead. U2 was very aware of the local NYC situation (obviously). They ran the names of all the victims of 9/11 on stage during the concert and did a great job of being respectful of the global events while at the same time putting on a good show.
And then.... this song came on. Stuck in a Moment. It caught me completely off guard. I was so unprepared for Bono's raw voice singing out loud about my current state of mind. He knew exactly what I was going through. The fact that that entire album resonated of the vibes of 9/11 made the whole experience even more real.
I was, in fact, stuck in the moment. I was stuck on him. I was stuck on where I was. Stuck on my sorrow. My loss. I love Bono and U2 for their ability to capture my psyche. My heart.
I'm there again. I'm stuck in a big long terrible moment. I need to get myself together. I'm stuck in a big long bullshit moment.
It's just a moment. This too, shall pass.
No comments:
Post a Comment