Friday, May 20, 2011

Spidey Sense

Anytime we visit John, my older son wants to watch Spiderman 3.  They only have 1 kid channel at their house, and Spiderman is the closest thing to a kid movie they have there. So we watch it over and over.  I never paid attention to it at all until this past visit.  It's actually a good movie.  It's filmed all over Manhattan, so I have a special interest in it.  We lived on 55Th and 6th for about 7 years, during the glory days.  When they were filming Spiderman 3, we got a notice in our mailbox about parking restrictions and whatnot because they were going to be on our corner for a few days.  Me and my best girlfriend at the time watched the filming from my rooftop. 

As I watched the movie for the umpteenth time, I wondered if John was paying attention to any of it.  There are so many things in the movie that I wish he'd absorb.  Peter Parker gets MJ's engagement ring from his beloved Aunt, thus hi-lighting the importance and significance of the engagement ring. Shortly after, he is in a fight scene, and has to rescue the ring a couple of times from falling to the ground from several stories up.  You can see the concern on his face when he thinks he's dropped it. 

In an earlier scene, you see Peter Parker talking to his Aunt about proposing to MJ.  She gives him words of wisdom.  "A man has to be ready to put his lady  first, always.  Are you ready to do that, Peter?" He says yes... -I glance at John to see if he's watching this part.  He is not.

John is back in his sister's kitchen fiddling around. It's about the most perfect kitchen one could hope for.  Everything is top of the line.  They deserve it.  My sister inlaw and her husband started their business using an upside down canoe in their basement as a desk.  5 kids and two houses later, they've done good for themselves.  Their pots and pans are farberware and their kitchen is stainless steal.

Everything in this kitchen is organic and "naturally"made.  My sister inlaw wouldn't have it any other way. No risks for her family.  It's ironic that she should be the one suffering from leukemia.

I  covet that kitchen and all its contents when I'm there. I love playing house while I'm there. It's kind of sick and kind of stupid.  Poor thing.. with more leukemia to fight.. another month, at least, in the hospital.  While her beautiful kitchen sits there. And I come up to visit with my kids so they can be with their Dad..  but I cook in that kitchen that I love. and I feel sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment